Thursday, January 25, 2007

Reading


Oh, how I miss reading. I just never seem to do it as much any more. Is it because I'm too tired? Too busy? Too scattered? Sometimes I'm a bit jealous of my husband's bus ride (not usually, but occasionally there's a twinge). The blog has been working in that it is encouraging me to think and be a little craftier in my day to day. So, I thought, what if I put up a list of books I'm reading and got super-embarrassed when the same book was up there too long. Would that encourage me to read more? This morning, when I looked at the list, I just thought it needed some explanation. To whom I don't know, but here's explanation anyways.

Knitting for Baby is a gorgeous book I got back when I so wanted a little guy but didn't have him yet. It has a huge range of projects and easy directions for beginners (I'm still one of those). I have to make a birthday hat by Monday, so I got it back out to be inspired last night.

Harry Potter (??), you wonder? T and I are reading it to each other in the evenings. We've both read them all, but in honor of the last book coming out we're hoping to reread them all as a lead-up to the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Yes, we're nerdy nerds, but at least we found each other, right?

Nikki McClure is my favorite artist of the moment. Okay, she's been my favorite artist for several years and if I ever met her I wouldn't even know what to say. She has a little boy too and now that we live in the same town I keep thinking I'll be in Book Babies at the library or Baby Gym or something and I'll be talking to some mom and it'll turn out that it's her and I'll really freak out. Her work is just stunning and something about it just fills me up when I look at it, if that makes any sense. It's peaceful, full of joy in nature... T bought both of the Nikki McClure books on my list for me for Christmas. I'm having a little angst about actually using the journal because I feel like I'll be tarnishing such an amazing thing with my notes!

The rest of the books don't really need explaining. I do have the Calvin Trillin one because the real book I want, About Alice, has a huge wait list at the library. I read a short piece in the New Yorker awhile back by him, about Alice, and it was so beautiful. When I finished it felt, more than anything else I think I've ever read, like I knew how much he loved and cared for Alice. It was amazing. When I heard he had a book coming out (I'm certain it includes the New Yorker piece) I was so excited. I told T it would be such an amazing idea for a husband to give his wife for Valentine's Day (we don't really do Valentine's Day, but my birthday isn't 'til September)!

I've GOT TO get an update to the little shop which means I've GOT TO get some work done. Remember that graphic designer I "hired?" He's going to help me with some, um, what's it called in the biz? Collateral? He's going to help me with some cards and such here this weekend. Yippee!

1 comment:

Allison said...

OMG, I only skimmed this post (I must admit...) but I saw that you said you're reading Harry Potter. I. Absolutely. Cannot. Wait. For. The. Last. Book! What do you think is going to happen?!