Thursday, February 08, 2007

Bake & rock


#6 Warding off the February Funk Pic- The real pic of yummy, yummy scones is on the way. For now, you see my problem. I'm out of sugar! Warding off any kind of funk with me generally includes some sort of baking. Bake often. Eat it all up. Enjoy. Share the goodies and share the recipe!

I know they just weren't into scones over at Colorfool, but neither was T until he had this version. They are SO GOOD, and you must, must douse them in sugar and cinnamon. Yum! The recipe is adapted from my All New All Purpose Joy of Cooking book which I don't like nearly as much as the older versions. I asked my grandma to keep an eye out at garage sales for an older version for me and she found a beautiful copy of The Betty Furness Westinghouse Cook Book, which my great grandma enjoyed and passed along to my grandma. It has a wonderful meat loaf recipe (lots of great basics) so if you ever see it, snatch it up! Anyhow, here's the adapted recipe (from the Classic Currant Scones recipe on page 791 of the All New All Purpose Joy of Cooking book).

Classic Scones

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Mix:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt

Drop in:
6 T (1/2 stick) cold, unsalted butter, cut into little pieces.

Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives, until the largest pieces are the size of peas and the rest resembles breadcrumbs.

Stir in (they say whisk it together and then add it all at once but I hate using more than one bowl!):
1 egg
1/2 cup milk (they say heavy cream which would probably make them much better!)

Mix until dry ingredients are just moistened. Knead dough together with hands, then transfer to a lightly floured surface and pat dough into an 8-inch round (about 3/4 inch think). Cut into 8 or 12 wedges and place at least 1/2 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet.

They say to brush the tops with 2-3 t cream or milk but I never do.

I COVER the tops with sugar and cinnamon.

Bake about 12-15 minutes and eat warm.
Yum!

Okay, aside from baking around here we're also grooving to the music. We just got this at the library and I think it might be worth a buy. I like about half of the songs on it (better than most kids' CDs!) and I love The Rainbow Connection by the Dixie Chicks. I'm not a country fan but they do a beautiful cover of this and it makes me think of Kermit and the gang singing in my childhood! I also love Baby Mine by Bonnie Raitt and How to Be Strong by Rosanne Cash (all on this CD). I might need to make a little mixed album for us to dance to and include that Wilco song What's the World Got in Store and Great Lakes Swimmers' See You on the Moon which I discovered on Sweet Juniper's blog. Oh, and Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles would have to be on there... Other suggestions?

Random, but also have you seen this index of amazing tutorials for bags of such from Craftster, courtesy of not martha? It'll give you enough great ideas to use up a weekend or two!

I'm making a bit of progress on the little cat (two more episodes of The West Wing last night)!


Aahhh... And in the ideas category once again have you seen this banner Laura's friends made for her shower? We have one like this in plastic that I whip out every time anybody has a birthday around here. It's wrinkled and, well, plastic. I'm going to make one of these! Would interfacing between two layers of fabric work to make it two-sided?

Shower. Must shower while the boy naps.

No comments: