Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Bread, cookies, cookies, muffins, cookies


I've been baking more than usual lately which often either means that a) I'm completely stressed out and I'm trying to get a little closer to calm and to control something, b) someone's sick or hurt or hurting and I don't know how to help or c) my sweet tooth is out of control. I think it's a little of (c) and a lot of (a) lately (thank goodness it's not (b)-- that's terrible when that's happening). So joining in with some of my favorite blogs (check out the yummy eggrolls and trifle-- I'm not a cherry fan but I could modify this recipe... Hmmmm...) here are the easiest, no egg muffins of all time. They're a little different because they don't have those eggs, but you'd be surprised how many times we want a little something yummy around here, don't have eggs, and end up with these amazing muffins. I got the recipe from the Student's Vegetarian Cookbook a long time ago from the library.

Sunday Morning Muffins
1 C whole wheat flour
1 C white flour
1/4 C sugar
2 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t cinnamon
2 C applesauce
1/4 C vegetable oil
(can add 3/4 C raisins but I don't like them so they're never in our recipe!)

1. Add flours, sugar, baking powder & soda & cinnamon. Stir.
2. In a different bowl mix applesauce & oil with a whisk (OK, I never do that because I don't want to wash two bowls!).
3. Add the two mixtures & stir just to moisten. Don't stir too much... Lumps are OK. Put in a lightly oiled pan. I always add sugar to the tops for fun, but I just like sugar and you don't need to do this!

18-20 minutes @ 375 degrees

Yum!

I actually found myself making them on Sunday morning and T failed to see why I thought it was funny. Okay, it's not. It's good I humor myself.

Oh, the flour. This AMAZING flour is from Canada. I don't know if you can find it in the US? My parents shared a bag from their stash. Whenever they're up north visiting my grandpa they cross the border and buy tons of this flour for bread making. It makes such a difference in your bread. Incredible.

2 comments:

Nicki said...

I just wanted to thank you for posting this recipe! I've made these muffins before and really enjoyed them, but I went to make them yesterday and couldn't find the recipe! Turns out I had been borrowing Student's Vegetarian Cookbook from a housemate that I no longer live with... so I was in a panic until I found your blog.
Thanks again!
-Nicole

Unknown said...

Hello Thanks for this great recipe :)
My 2 little boys and I just made your muffins after seeing them on your blog this morning. Yum!

We made a few of our own alterations...

We had no applesauce, per say, so we peeled, sliced, cooked and pureed some granny smaith apples (7 to be precise!)

We didn't use the mix of flours, but just 2 cups of Organic wholemeal spelt flour

I only used 2 tbsp of Sugar (brown sugar) and then added a little pure Maple Syrup at the end :)

I used Macadamia Nut oil

Finally, we added a bunch of frozen mixed berrries (maybe 1 and a half cups!) at the end.

They were very pudding-esque and beyond delicious!